Product: Filmmaking By Jason Tomaric
Subject: Learn Filmmaking Without Film School
Authors: Jason Tomaric
Publisher: Focal Press
Length: 536 Pages
Price: $24.56 ( Retail )
Cheapest Place to Buy: Amazon.com
Our Rating: 9 out of 10
When I was a teenager my love of horror drove me into the arms of indie filmmaking – I thought I was the next big thing!
But as you get older you learn a valuable lesson – things in life you thought were easy never are!
Simply put – in the 90’s I wanted to learn filmmaking without film school commitments but there really were not that many options. The internet was just a word at the time and the only mobile phones spotted were the ones on Miami Vice.
So today I thought I’d cover an excellent publication that I wish had been available when I was a ‘green’ teenager – Filmmaking: Direct Your Movie from Script to Screen Using Proven Hollywood Techniques.
Filmmaking – Product Overview
Filmmaking is an extremely well put together resource for filmmakers that dives headlong into the secretive film industry. It introduces you to the Hollywood system of successful filmmaking and shows you how to adapt it into your own productions.
The book is put together by Emmy-winning director Jason Tomaric. He covers the thousands of tips, tricks, and techniques he has gathered from working on the Hollywood scene over the years.
Filmmaking systematically takes you through the process in easy to follow, step-by-step fashion. It is a guide that is aimed at ALL filmmakers – regardless of their budget.
The book also comes with an impressive companion site that includes the following:
The Good & The Bad
- Jason provides a coverage of the entire filmmaking process ( even a section on distribution )
- The step-by-step instructions are littered with handy tips, diagrams, charts and illustrations
- The book also handles the nitty-gritty of the business side of movie production – very important for indie filmmakers!
- Book reads like a diary of a successful independent filmmaker that highlights the mistakes as well as the success stories
- The author provides real-world examples in the form of ‘Jason’s Notes’ which covers some background from films or projects he’s done
- The book chooses to provide practical knowledge instead theoretical knowledge
- The companion website offers industry-standard forms and contracts and excellent video tutorials
- The book is a long read – it’s not aimed at people who just want to pick up a camera and start filming
- Jason chooses not to go into the actual filmmaking aspects straight away – the initial chapters cover more mundane topics like lawyers and contracts etc
Who is This Book For?
Well simply put – this book is for individuals who want to learn filmmaking without film school commitments.
This book is NOT for individuals who are looking to shoot and produce a film within a week!
Our Final Opinion on Jason Tomaric’s Filmmaking
As you may have gathered from the above information – this is not really a book that is aimed at indie filmmakers looking to get a film up and running on YouTube in a week!
Jason Tomaric has taken the time to make sure he covers EVERY element of filmmaking. Whatever you encounter on your project you can be sure he has covered it in these pages.
The book is derived from Jason’s personal journey of over 15 years working in the movie business. The tips he provides are therefore ‘hands on’ pointers as opposed to the drier type of guidelines often found in filmmaking manuals.
He has also opted to include numerous illustrations and images to help the reader along the path. I found this most helpful as I learn faster from visual representations and switch off when I’m confronted with a sea of text!
We hope you enjoyed our book review and if you have any questions about the product or want to leave your own personal review, please leave a comment in the section below.